By KEREM HASAN
The warning was made as ministers used their legal powers on Wednesday to halt an indefinite strike by El-Sen that left some parts of the TRNC without power for up to 12 hours.
One Lefkoşa resident, named Hasan Basri, who is suffering from dementia, Parkinson’s disease and lung failure, was said to have encountered “difficulties” after losing power to equipment that helps him breath.
In Gazimağusa there were tense scenes as angry members of the public tried to storm the local offices of the electricity authority Kıb-Tek, in protest at the power cuts.
Kıb-Tek maintenance workers refused to repair faults, except for those affecting schools and hospitals, leaving parts of Lefkoşa, Gazimağusa, Güzelyurt, Gönyeli and Haspolat without power for hours. Bill payment desks were left unstaffed, although electronic pay points were still working.
Speaking to Cyprus Today, El-Sen head Kubilay Özkıraç said his union would “continue with different forms of protest never seen before” following the strike ban on Wednesday by the government.
“The ban will eventually expire but during this period we are considering adopting civil disobedience style protests,” Mr Özkıraç said.
He said a protocol signed between El-Sen and Economy and Energy Minister Hasan Taçoy earlier this year with regards to a proposed tender for the power generator purchase was now “null and void”.
Read the full article in Cyprus Today...In shops or on PressReader.
Attention! Any person who sends any financial, legal, criminal, administrative liability content resulting from criminal, illegal, threatening, offensive, insulting, profane, humiliating, degrading, vulgar, pornographic, anti-moral, Member / Member's.