Nigerians should not come to study in the TRNC, one of the country’s top officials for its citizens abroad has said – as African students already on the island voiced concern about their treatment, in the wake of a brutal murder.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, senior special adviser to Nigeria’s president on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, issued the warning on Twitter in response to a social media storm over the killing of Nigerian Kennedy Taomwabwa Dede, whose battered body was found in the Çanakkale reservoir last week.
The comments came after a seventh suspect, Nidai Şanlı, named by police last week as the ringleader in the fatal attack, handed himself in and said he had not meant to kill the 28-year-old former architecture student.
Mr Dede's sister, Miriam, and his friends, who have launched a “Justice for Kennedy” social media campaign, were at Gazimağusa District Court yesterday for the latest hearing, amid tight security, at which all seven suspects were remanded in custody for seven days.
Şanlı, 28, who had fled to South Cyprus on January 30 but was arrested when he crossed back to the TRNC at about 3am last Saturday, told a hearing that day: “I am sorry, I did not want to kill . . . I [just] wanted to scare him.”
Police inspector Erkan Yahat told the court on Tuesday Şanlı had said in a statement that he and the others had attacked Mr Dede “to take back 1,000TL that he owed them”.
For more see Cyprus Today... In shops or on PressReader.
Attention! Any person who sends any financial, legal, criminal, administrative liability content resulting from criminal, illegal, threatening, offensive, insulting, profane, humiliating, degrading, vulgar, pornographic, anti-moral, Member / Member's.