Monday, October 14th 2019 4PM °C nicosia
Close
16-09-2019 11:09 | Read 406 times

TRNC rocked by blast

TERRIFIED tourists and expats have told how they feared for their lives after a series of explosions at an army base rocked the villages of Arapköy, Esentepe and Çatalköy, including the Acapulco hotel, in the early hours of Thursday.

TRNC rocked by blast

BY ANNE CANALP AND KEREM HASAN

Ministers and military officials have ordered an investigation into the incident, which began at around 1.30am at a munitions depot and lasted for over three hours.

Windows and doors at the hotel were blown out by the blasts that showered shrapnel over a wide area, with flames lighting up the night sky.

No-one was killed although 12 people, including holidaymakers, suffered minor injuries, mainly from broken glass, nine of whom were discharged the same day after receiving treatment.

Roads leading to Girne from Çatalköy, Değirmenlik and Esentepe were temporarily closed to traffic while the area was “secured”, the Public Works and Transport Ministry said.

A British High Commission spokesman told this paper that no British nationals had been among those hurt. “We are providing consular assistance where requested,” he said.

Last night it emerged that there had been explosions at the exact same site in 1995, when a huge fire engulfed the Five Finger mountains.

Cyprus Turkish Travel Agents’ Union board member Orhan Tolun and former Forestry Department chief Altay Fırat both confirmed the fact to Cyprus Today, as questions were raised over the way arms are stored.

Source:
Editor:
No News Comments....
Comment
CAPTCHA security code

Attention! Any person who sends any financial, legal, criminal, administrative liability content resulting from criminal, illegal, threatening, offensive, insulting, profane, humiliating, degrading, vulgar, pornographic, anti-moral, Member / Member's.