Thursday, May 24th 2018 1PM °C nicosia
Close
OralGuvenlik
06-04-2018 18:47 | Read 385 times

Free beach access reaffirmed in new ruling

Beachgoers have the constitutional right to access the coast free of charge, Girne District Court has reaffirmed in a new ruling.

Free beach access reaffirmed in new ruling

It follows a 2015 case brought against Çatalköy’s Cratos Premium Hotel by campaigners for free beach access who claimed they had been denied their rights under the 1985 TRNC Constitution and a 1993 law regulating use of the coast.

The legal action had been taken by the Baraka Cultural Centre’s Nazen Şansal and Independence Path member Yusuf Özgü Sertel on behalf of eight beach campaigners refused free entry to the beach at the hotel in July 2015.

A Cratos spokesman said at the time that the problem had emerged because the group had wanted to be placed among hotel guests and not on the beachside deck area.

In a ruling on March 23, the court issued its judicial confirmation of the public’s right to access the coast free of charge.

The case followed similar actions lodged by lawyers, Özgü Özkül Özyiğit and Ahmet Said Sayın as part of a Free Beaches Belong to the Public campaign.

The Girne court had ruled in 2014 — in legal challenges to refusal of admission to Escape, Kervansaray and Denizkızı facilities — that anyone who did not make use of private services provided at beaches must not be charged for entry.

Source:
Editor:
No News Comments....
Comment
CAPTCHA security code

Attention! Any person who sends any financial, legal, criminal, administrative liability content resulting from criminal, illegal, threatening, offensive, insulting, profane, humiliating, degrading, vulgar, pornographic, anti-moral, Member / Member's.